Thursday, September 8, 2011

Food for Thought: Arrabiata Sauce

Arrabiata, it's Italian for "angry style", and it's the spiciest sauce you'll find on their restaurant menus. This was another improvisation on an established dish that I came up with while the Republican Debate was on. Don't worry, those two things are not mutually exclusive!

Arrabiata traditionally uses red chili peppers, but unfortunately, my faithful supplier, Wegmans, ran out. So I used green chili peppers this time around. I guarantee, if you keep everything here as I've outlined, you'll be very satisfied.

- Prepare with the ingredients from my Pomodoro Sauce

- 2 Red chili peppers

- A generous dash of cayenne pepper

- A few drops of hot sauce

Chop the peppers and add them to the vegetables in the Pomodoro sauce. While the sauce is cooking, add the cayenne pepper and hot sauce.


Continue to cook as directed and serve with your favorite pasta.


Lately, for economic reasons, I've been on a bit of a pasta kick. But I'm not complaining in the least! It's one of my favorite foods, and there may be a few more sauces I'll post in the near future.

This sauce came out with what I'd describe as a "medium" level of heat/spicy. It's enough that it won't offend anyone who doesn't like spicy, but also strong enough for those like me who are addicted to it. It's ideal with penne, but obviously, I didn't feel it was necessary.

Mangia!
- Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment