Thursday, May 10, 2012

MOVIE REVIEW: Hugo (2011)



Hugo is one of those rare films that comes along, because it's so unique in it's artistry. It's a children's film, but it deals with some uncharacteristic mature subject matter. It's directed by Martin Scorsese, and yet, instead of a gritty potboiler, he gives us a vibrant, storybook rendition of Paris, 1932. It's a tribute to silent films, to the advent of modern technology, to the escapist in all of us. While I unfortunately missed the film in theaters, due to school (and subsequently, a lack of interest from family and friends - I refused to go see it alone), I had the rare fortune of winning a Blu-Ray copy in an online sweepstakes. I kid you not. I usually write those things off as trite, but I guess fortune favors the bold. And boy, what good fortune it was!

Young orphan Hugo Cabret, wanders the streets of Paris, searching for parts to complete an automoton (a type of primative robot; a mechanical puppet, if you will) inherited from his late father. When he's caught by an elderly toymaker, who then takes his notebook, which contains building instructions for the automoton, he embarks on a quest to understand the toymaker's strange interest with the notebook. Fortunately aided by the toymaker's young goddaughter, Hugo discovers the unlikely working relationship his father had with the man, and how the automoton may be the key to reviving his once prestigious past.

While Hugo is on it's face, a slow film, due to the dominant use of dreamlike, visual storytelling that Scorsese handles so well, I was never once bored, because it meant I was getting a chance to immerse myself in such a lush and vibrant world. The director, being the genius that he is, captures each tangible and intellectual element of the story so masterfully, I felt like I was in the presence of greatness even once the opening title hit the screen. Even though I was only watching in 2D,  I didn't need 3D to be impressed by the sheer magnitude of the visuals (although, it must've been, undoubtedly more impressive). The acting, as anticipated, was also impressive. I expected nothing less from Asa Butterfield after seeing his outstanding performance in The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. Chloe Moretz is equally good as his precocious confidante; something the actress has characterstically embodied in most of the work I've seen her in.

Although only time will tell if Hugo stands to become a classic, it certainly is qualified by the strong critical acclaim and numerous honors (among them, 11 Academy Award nominations, with 5 wins) it garnered last year. I certainly hope so, as it was one of the more visually arresting and innovative films that 2011 had to offer.

And for anyone who may be interested, here is a complete copy of Georges Méliès A Trip to the Moon:



9/10

Peace,
- Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment