Wednesday, February 2, 2011

MOVIE REVIEW: Chungking Express (1994)

Another gem from the Criterion Collection that was endorsed heavily by director Quentin Tarantino finds it's way to the US again: from the whimsical mind of Wong Kar-Wai from Hong Kong. Chungking Express is a quirky romantic comedy with some mystery elements that's unlike anything you may be expecting from the genre. I certainly didn't, as I viewed this film too casually upon first glance and lost a lot of the film's meaning from my lack of engrossment. Upon second glance at the recommendation of a friend, I watched Express with a more discerning eye and found myself much more enlightened. Although, I still believe it's a film that cannot be taken lightly for its story.

Set in Hong Kong, 1994, Express weaves two stories of two different couples together with their own, unique personalities. The first act tells the tale of He Qiwu, a jilted cop with a penchant for canned pineapples bearing an expiration date of May 1st - the pending day he chooses to move on from his ex-love. He falls for a shady femme fatale who somehow re-ignites his fire, amidst her illicit dealings. "Act II" begins as He Qiwu brushes by Faye, a tomboyish snack bar attendant who falls for an unnamed cop (who is also going for the rebound). When the cop accidentally leaves his ex's set of keys to his apartment in Faye's possession, she makes an odd habit of breaking into his home and subtly improving his lifestyle. The hijinks that follow from these events are what make the heart of this film.

In an interview with Wong Kar-Wai on the DVD, he reveals his belief that his style is far more influenced by Eastern cinema than Western cinema, contrary to what he thinks many critics believe. I must've been greatly fooled, because watching Chungking Express, in spite of it's Asian setting and culture, something about the photography and script felt broadly European to me - the poetic dialogue, at times, bears shades of Truffaut. The camerawork has the enigmatic mood like that of Wim Wenders - I may sound crazy, but the stunning nature of these elements simply flooded me, involuntarily, with these memories. The editing is without a doubt Asian to the core - quick cuts and an almost improvised feel to much of the action. The film's style is definitely in a class of it's own.

Now, here's the tricky part: With such splendor, it often becomes a challenge to focus on the story. Hence why I'm convinced despite my botched first-viewing, that Chungking Express demands multiple viewings, if the story is too much to take in. This is not your average romatic comedy. Express conveys more in its images through the characters' inner feelings rather than through displayed emotions. Moreover, it's also rather cerebral. The dialogue and action need to be approached with an open mind, in order to reach those conclusions of rationalization that we the audience are always desperately seeking in our films. I will say though, I'm glad I gave Chungking Express another chance, and I was surprised at how much I missed from seeing it the first time around.

8/10

Peace,
- Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment