Monday, May 2, 2011

SPECIAL POST: Osama Bin Laden (1957 - 2011)

I am writing this as I watch this historic news event unfold before my eyes: "Osama Bin Laden Is Dead". It's a very surreal moment, as many people and myself can recall the scathing memory of where we were on 9/11, when terrorists attacked the World Trade Center in New York City. We would later learn that Bin Laden, the leader of Islamist Terrorist group Al Qaida was responsible for helming the attack. Now, he lies dead in a Pakistan mansion at the hands of American troops. As I write this, people are massing outside the White House in D.C., in a public display of patriotism and celebration. I'm reading on Facebook about undergraduates at my alma mater celebrating and singing on the quad. I wish I was there with them. Admittedly, it is a barbaric thing to act so hedonistically over the death of an individual, even one so evil as Bin Laden. But realistically, it's one less terrorist in the world that we need to worry and fear about.

These past ten years have been subconsciously riddled with fear for me, the amplification of security in every avenue of transportation and public gathering. The constant micromanaging from educational institutions to working specific jobs. Not to mention the dismal perspective other events in the world at large have brought upon us. I'm in awe of seeing people gathering now at Ground Zero, I visited the site a year after the attack. It was a very eerie place; the last time I had seen the WTC was the summer before, from across the Hudson Bay in Jersey City. It is an incredible feeling of justice after learning what has happened. I almost feel as though I'm writing my feelings as a stream of consciousness, but this is the best way I can express myself in my current state of mind (The moderate amount of alcohol I've had, notwithstanding).

What makes this event so significant, is how much it feels upon first glance as a turning point for our political climate. We still do not know the full details of what happened, aside from President Obama's speech about how the attack operation was executed. My first thought was: "This is going to be as important to Obama's presidency as was the fall of the Berlin Wall was to Reagan's" (even though the USSR fell during Bush Sr., pundits still attribute that event to the Gipper). Does it spell re-election for Obama? So many will hold their breath baited in anticipation. I do anticipate heightened security in the interim; Bin Laden may be gone, but there's always going to be another upstart in the works. It is imperative that we keep our guard up for the best interests of our country.

Does this spell the end of the "War on Terror"? Probably not, as terrorism is unfortunately perpetual. But it is notable that a major force in the Al Qaida movement is now gone. And what of the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq? I have friends who have served. One of whom I currently work with insists that things have been "over and done, long enough". It would seem ideal that we could terminate operations and bring the troops home. I don't expect the wars to be over as soon as possible, but I do think we should see a reduction in combat of some kind. It may still be too early to predict a lot of the impact that this event will result in. It is incredible though, that for all the mudslinging, caustic debate over political rhetoric, and ire over Democratic/Repubican schisms that have been among the biggest divisive social issues in this country, that the death of Bin Laden becomes the one to unite us, once again.

God Bless America,
- Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment