Saturday, November 26, 2011

MOVIE REVIEW: The Muppets (2011)


I'm not ashamed to admit I've been a Muppets fan as long as I can remember. Something about their endearingly warm, wackiy and (literally) fuzzy personalities brings out the inner-child in me, but doesn't condescend my intelligence. I actually remember a time when the Muppets were a presence on Sesame Street (before Disney bought them out). I also remember seeing The Muppet Christmas Carol in the movie theater nearly 20 years ago; it actually taught me a rudimentary understanding about death that was frank but safe enough for a child to understand (it was also the first Muppet project after Jim Henson passed on). So it was with great excitement and baited anticipation I embarked on seeing The Muppets.

The story opens with a puppet named Walter, all he wants to do with his life is fit in the human-dominated world he lives in with his human brother Gary. One day, Walter catches the premiere of The Muppet Show and becomes the troupe's #1 fan. Flash-forward 20-30 odd-some years later, and Walter and Gary are on their way to L.A. to visit the now-dilapidated Muppet Studios, taking Gary's earnest but oft-neglected girlfriend, Mary. After discovering a billionaire oil-magnate plans to tear down Muppet Studios and build an oil drill. Alarmed, Walter tracks down Kermit the Frog and convinces him to round up the rest of the gang for a reunion telethon in order to save Muppet Studios, musical-numbers, self-discovery, and hilarity ensue.

I think Jason Segal hit the nail right on the head in an interview I read where he expressed that the magic of the Muppets involves avoiding cynicism in humor by making people laugh without the humor occuring at someone else's expense. This was a welcome change from what I expected out of the usual Muppets fare, in that there is a slight dramatic element with the Muppet characters often expressing feelings of abandonment, and willingness to be accepted. The audience is virtually channeled through Walter; the Muppets' main cheerleader who wants nothing more than them to succede, and in the process, discovers his purpose in life. The message is timeless: follow your dreams and never give up in what you believe in. It's the sentimentality the film exuded that basically made it so enjoyable for me. On the other hand, the musical numbers are Oscar-worthy, and the slapstick, sight-gag-based humor is relatively fresh. Often times the plot became a little predictable, maybe even a little derivative of past Muppet-efforts, but that didn't stop me from enjoying what was a welcome face in the fall film scene.

8/10

Peace,
- Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment