Friday, December 16, 2011

Food for Thought: "This-Has-Nothing-To-Do-With-Harry-Potter" Treacle Tart

Before finding out what it was, I was just vaguely familiar with this dessert that happens to be a favorite of J.K. Rowling's famous, fictional young wizard. Somehow, I stumbled upon a description of the treat while browsing for recipes and I thought "Wow! That looks good!" and "If I publish a recipe, people will think it has to do with Harry Potter, which I must avoid."

So I hope that clears up my intentions for you.


With that in mind, here's what you'll need:

- 1 pie crust

- 1 1/8 cup of golden syrup (I was told maple syrup is okay, but I tried it once before and it came out too "sticky." It's easy to make on your own if you follow another recipe)

- 1 heaped tablespoon of molasses

- zest and juice of 1 small lemon

- A drop of honey

- 4 eggs

- 1 cup of bread crumbs

Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F. Beat the eggs and combine the syrup, molasses, and lemon juice/zest. Mix together with the eggs and add the bread crumbs.


Pour the mixture into the pie crust. Place in the oven and bake for about 30 mins or until the mixture is firm or the pie crust is golden brown.


And there you have it. Quite a tasty dish, sweet in a "pancakes-and-waffles" kinda-way due to the syrup. If that's something you enjoy, by all means, dig in.

Mangia!

- Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment