Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Food for Thought: Spaghetti Al Pomodoro

Last year, on Mother's Day, I purchased the book Audrey Hepburn, An Elegant Spirit: A Son Remembers as a present for my mother. The book, written by Hepburn's son, is a touching memoir and account of his relationship with his mother, and even included some interesting recipes of hers. One that caught my eye, was Hepburn's recipe for Spaghetti Al Pomodoro (or pasta with tomato sauce, for all us Yanks). Not actually "her's" in the literal sense, but mentioned in the book as a traditional Italian recipe she adopted as her own.


The recipe interested me, because of the use of Roma tomatoes, and that it is quite similar to the rich pasta sauce my mother had perfected, notably with the use of carrots. Needless to say, I incorporated elements from both influences, and created something of my own. The one secret I'll keep is that I'll never mention what brand of Roma tomatoes I actually use, but they're fairly easy to find, and that's all I'll have to say.

- 2 large cans of peeled Roma tomatoes

- 2 celery stalks

- 2 carrots

- 1 small onion

(If you're short on prep time, you can substitute the last three ingredients for a cup or two of mirepoix. Wegmans sells it by the bag in the salad section; one bag will do the trick).

- 2 cloves of garlic

- A handful of mushrooms

- A bunch of fresh basil leaves

- Olive oil

- Red pepper flakes, black pepper, and a pinch of salt, to taste.

- 1 box of spaghetti (or your favorite kind of pasta)


Chop the onions, garlic, celery, carrots, and mushrooms. In a pot, coat the bottom with some olive oil and add the garlic and onions. sauté until the garlic starts to brown, and the onions caramelize and sizzle. Add the celery, carrots, and mushrooms, cook for several minutes. Add the tomatoes and a handful of the basil leaves, washed, and stir. Add the red and black pepper, and salt, along with a drizzle of olive oil. Stir well and let it simmer for 45 minutes. Turn off heat and let it sit for 15 minutes. Cook the pasta al dente, use some olive oil in the water to keep the pasta moist. Serve with the rest of the basil leaves, washed and cut, along with fresh parmesan.


It's safe to say that this dish was a success at my little Oscar Nite bash at my house. A bit indifferent about The King's Speech winning Best Picture, but it's a good movie for sure. I may not be Italian, but it's my personal opinion that the dish tastes closest to the salsa di pomodoro I've had in several local, authentic Italian restaurants in central New Jersey. Anyway, this is a great dish - it's cheap, healthy, and can be made in at least an hour. The sauce even stays fresh for quite a while. I should make more, as I'll probably be craving it, soon...

Also, I really should read up on what's been going on, over in Wisconsin with the unions, but a lot has been going on in my life, lately. Hopefully, I'll get a chance when life slows down a notch. ;-)

Mangia!
- Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment