Wednesday, March 2, 2011

MOVIE REVIEW: Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (2010)

Wow, this is Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time? Disney, what in God's name did you do to one of my favorite video games when I was a kid? Wouldn't it have been a lot interesting if you stuck with swordfighting turban-clad guards in spike-lined dungeons in order to rescue the princess? Why does Jake Gyllenhaal sound like he's dubbed with that pseudo-British accent? I wasn't really this clueless throughout the whole movie, but I did feel like it left a lot to be desired.

In ancient Persia, a street-smart youth hoodlum is taken under the wing of the king and raised as his own. As the Persian empire spreads and Princess Tamia, of a rival land is betrothed to the titular Prince Dastan, he becomes wrongfully accused of regicide by his people, when his father is mysteriously assassinated. Taking Tamia along with him, Dastan escapes into the desert, and comes across a magical dagger that can reverse time in the short term. The dagger is what becomes his and Tamia's sole dependant on restoring order to Persia, and the king's ursurper.

Jerry Bruckheimer knows how to produce good-looking films, but rarely ones with a comparable script. Prince of Persia is no exception; with almost entirely nothing but CGI, fight-scenes, and - albeit - very well-choreographed action sequences, I really felt like I was watching someone play a video game the whole time. Or, at least, one long video game movie sequence. The acting was fine, I can get over the casting, since let's face it - by our legal standards, Middle Easterners are de facto caucasian, and these are actors playing roles - end rant. But what the heck was up with Gyllenhaal's accent? It's unlike how he usually sounds, I wouldn't outright call it horrible, it was just...weird. Too bad I can't really find any good parody videos that I would put up.

Despite my criticisms, the action is rather stellar, and I enjoyed a lot of the stunts, sword-fights, and the cliche characters. I did tune out a lot to the overall film though, because the story was just so bland and ill-executed. It's a shame they didn't take the time to work on the script a little more, because whoever wrote dialogue for this was obviously just collecting his paycheck towards summer vacation.

6/10

Peace,
- Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment