Friday, March 25, 2011

MOVIE REVIEW: Clerks (1994)

Clerks is one of my all-time favorite films. It is the 1990s answer to The Graduate, and a minor time-capsule of that decade, in it's depiction of American slacker-culture and New Jersey; where I live. This film spoke to me in such an honest, crude, dorky, and philosophical way during my adolescence that it made me realize director Kevin Smith and I truly are pseudo-intellectual soul mates. When it comes to the overaching message on life Clerks preaches, one can interpret it as nihilism punctuated with absurdity, but I see it as growing the balls to be proactive in life, and that things can always be worse for the average, American, young-adult, male.

In Leonardo, New Jersey, 22 year-old Dante Hicks works as a cashier clerk in a low-rent Quick Stop convenience store. His life is going nowhere, and the toils of work are eating at his patience and self-esteem. Dante frequently butts heads with his opposingly self-motivated college girlfriend, Veronica. He also still has a thing for his loose, and engaged ex, Caitlin. His best friend, the snarky, sarcastic, movie-buff Randall works next door to him in a video store, and is his main foil in life as well as his philosophical counterweight. As customer after customer walks in and continually serve as an extra source of irritation for him, Dante realizes he's having the worst day of his life - the day he "wasn't even supposed to be here, today!".

Beneath the cheap black-and-white film, twisted characters, and vulgar humor, Clerks has a mind and soul that defies it's slacker trappings. Not to say this film had a huge influence on my life, but I relate very strongly to certain aspects of each of the characters, which makes the film a treat for me to watch. Despite being an amateur (at the time), Kevin Smith makes himself out to be a naturally talented writer/director. Citing influences as Jim Jarmusch and Richard Linklater, among others in the credits, their influences become very apparent upon certain glances. Anyone who has been in the position of being condescended for their job, youth, or intelligence should find solace in Clerks. I had the opportunity of seeing Smith's first cut on the blu-ray. While it is a little rough-hewn and features some subtly different scenes, along with a darker ending, I prefer his final version with the more careful spit-and-polish. Either one is worth seeing.

Oh, and here's my favorite scene, infamously known as #37 -


Clerks (The First Cut) - 9/10

Clerks (Theatrical Cut) - 10/10

Peace,
- Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment