Tuesday, March 29, 2011

MOVIE REVIEW: Amarcord (1973)

Once again, the Criterion Collection offers me something I've been meaning to see for years but never gotten around to it: Federico Fellini's Amarcord an Italian slang-term of some sort meaning "I remember", the film is supposed to be a semi-autobiographical account of Fellini's life as a child growing up in facist Italy. Filled with numerous moments of fantastic imagery, some wacky characters, and a heartfelt pastoral atmosphere, Amarcord is a very interesting look at the genius of Fellini and how he brings his ideas to life on the screen. Rather than superfluously elaborate on the different vignettes in the film, I will say that one must experience it for themselves, as the somewhat nonexistant story lends itself to personal interpretation.

As my first foray into Fellini's work, I must say, I was quite pleased. The lack of a linear story peturbed me a bit, at first, but I got used to it, and eventually became intrigued at Amacord for its interesting visuals and the often hysterical performances. There's several funny moments involving coming-of-age where the boys of the village are sent to the church to confess their carnal sins. They also play great pranks on their teachers, and one of them has an ironic encounter with a buxom tobbaconist. At the heart of the film, is a story about family, patriotism, and appreciation of life in Italy that must be something I will never be cognizant of. But in Amarcord, Fellini does a wonderful job of sharing that love of his country with this love letter to his homeland. If the dictionary put films underneath it's definitions, one would find Amarcord under "pleasant".

8/10

Peace,
- Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment