Wednesday, April 27, 2011

MOVIE REVIEW: Memoirs of a Geisha (2005)

So I'm sure you're all wondering: "What the heck am I doing reviewing Memoirs of a Geisha?" especially when I haven't even read the book. I don't know if that's a bad move on my part, but the trailer drew me in. And once again, this film proved how much of a sucker for well-edited trailers I am. I wish I could say the same for the film itself, as I simply found it nowhere near half as exciting as the trailer had promised. The actual film itself covers an interesting piece of Japanese culture, but Memoirs is pretty much a protracted tale of style over substance.

In the early 20th century, young Chiyo is sent away by her poor farming family to be sold for slavery. She is taken in by the mistress of a geisha house. She makes repeated escape attempts in order to reunite and run away with her sister, but continually fails. One day, she captures the attention of an affluent man with an affinity for geishas. As she grows up, Chiyo is taken under the wing of geisha guru Mameha, and learns the way of the geisha. The adjustment period is particularly difficult for the beautiful, blue-eyed Chiyo, as men and the promise of freedom constantly tempt her.

I remember this film causing a huge controversy when it came out, due to the female leads being played by Chinese actresses. Whatever ire spurned between the Asian parties responsible is ridiculous to me, as the women in the film give great performances, in my opinion. The production design is very beautiful, and it shows from the three artistic design Oscars the film eventually garnered. For all the film's fine trimmings and the interesting view it gave behind geisha culture, it was extremely dull at times. The drama and pace seems to bounce around in a slipshod fashion; events come and go with very little establishment. I basically felt like I watched something that dragged on and on with loads of pretty pictures. The producers had a fine piece of work here, all they needed to do was find a competent screenwriter.

5/10

Peace,
- Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment