Saturday, January 8, 2011

Food for Thought: Thai Vegetable Noodle Soup

Again with the Perfect Thai cookbook, I was originally going to prepare this along with the chicken dish I posted the other day, but I just didn't have the energy. So I cooked it up yesterday, and I was quite pleased with the results. I even had some leftover noodles that I served up with the chicken, and it was amazing. And since I altered the recipe just slightly, once again, I'm going to post it. I substituted the ingredient vegetable stock for chicken broth, so it's not completely vegan, but then again, I'm not vegan, and I never will be. So I didn't see the point in buying or making vegetable stock when I had a more savory substitute. You be the judge on which one's more palatable:

- 1 Onion, sliced

- 2 Garlic cloves, chopped

- 1 Carrot, sliced

- 1 Zucchini, sliced

- 2 Broccoli heads, chopped

- 4 Cups vegetable stock or 1 32oz carton of chicken broth

- 1 Can of coconut milk

- 4 Tbsp of soy sauce

- 1 Small package of red curry paste

- 1 Small package of rice noodles

- 1 Can of soybean sprouts

- A handful of chopped fresh cilantro

- Olive oil


Heat a skillet and coat with olive oil. Stir-fry the onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes. Add the carrot, zucchini and broccoli, stir fry for 3-4 minutes. Pour the stock/broth, coconut milk, and bring to a boil. Add the soy sauce, curry paste, and noodles for about 2-3 minutes or until the noodles are cooked. Add the bean sprouts and cilantro, and serve immediately.


It's pretty spicy on the first try, but I got used to it after that. My mom had to cut it with Greek yogurt because she couldn't really handle the heat, so you always have that option. I thought this soup was delicious, and it's pretty easy to make!

It's currently snowing out like crazy, and the Jets are driving me crazy on Saturday Night Football...

Mangia!
- Jon

1 comment:

  1. Looks good, but prob too spicy for me. I am glad you're enjoying the book!

    ReplyDelete