Saturday, January 8, 2011

DOUBLE VIDEO GAME REVIEW: God of War III (2010) & Time Crisis: Razing Storm (2010)


God of War III, and the rest of the series are a guilty pleasure for me. I say that not because they're bad games, but their reputation as gratuitously violent and brutal hack-and-slashers, loosely based on Greek mythology is in stark contrast to my personality. In this entry of the series, the protagonist, Kratos, the God of War is waging an assault on Mt. Olympus with the exiled titans who were once betrayed by Zeus. Upon confrontation, Kratos once again finds himself against all odds and with little allies in taking down the gods once and for all.

Although I bought a PS3 mainly for the Blu-Ray player, I've been amazed by the quality of the games that have been put out for it. GOW3 is one of those games that despite it's grisly nature, is absolutely beautiful to look at and play. For example: cutscenes run seamlessly with the gameplay, and utilize the already impressive visuals. It goes without saying that as impressive as they are, I was definitely wincing during some of the game's more gorier moments. Gameplay remains roughly the same with a few new added touches, such as magic being incorporated into weapons and a couple new maneuvering tricks. One fun element was the "Icarus flight sequences" which took me back to the Nintendo platforming days when you were moving from one end of the screen to another at high speeds, avoiding debris and anything that got in your way. With all the fun you'll have, it's a strange feeling when you start realizing how dark the game gets in mood. The ending itself even falls in tragic Greek fashion. This didn't necessarily hamper my enjoyment, but it left me feeling a little negative for the characters. Still, everyone who made this game did an amazing job, and it shows.

9/10


Ever since I was a kid, I always wanted to own one of the Time Crisis games, but I could never shell out enough cash for the game and the accessories. Well, 10+ years later, all that has changed since I invested in the PlayStation Move - Sony's competition in the wireless games market.

Sure, I think the controllers look ridiculous, but they're supposed to have better tracking than the Wii, or Microsoft's Kinect on the Xbox. Plus, they're extremely versatile, as is in this case. For the game though, there's not a lot of depth to either of the three games that are included in the package. I can't understand all the mixed reviews they've been getting, though. I knew what I was getting myself into when I invested in these games and I love them for what they are; an excuse to blast pixelated terrorists off my TV screen (that didn't sound psychotic of me at all, huh?). "Razing Storm" takes place in the future and is about a counterterrorism team fighting robots in South America. The other two games are "Time Crisis 4" which is a port of the arcade game you can find in the movie theatre about counterterrorists fighting through various exotic locales, and "Deadstorm Pirates", a pirate-themed shooter with a crew on a treasure hunt. The calibration was pretty easy, and I didn't have too many problems with it. The gun controller does get pretty heavy in my hands after awhile, though.

8/10

Whew, onto my other postings that I promised...
- Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment