Thursday, January 6, 2011

Food for Thought: Thai Yellow Curry Chicken

Last Christmas, I received a cookbook called Perfect Thai from my sister. As some of you may not already know, Thai happens to be one of my favorite cuisines. I love cooking in general, and I'll make anything as long as it's good. But something about the freshness and complexity of flavors in Thai food is something I find very enjoyable. And since I tinkered with the original recipe a bit, I'll share it without hesitation:



- 1 package of chicken breasts, cut into strips

- 1 and 3/4 cups of water

- 2 small onions, chopped

- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped

- 2 8oz containers of plain yogurt

- 1 small package of yellow curry paste

- 1 small package of baby corn (didn't use in this 'round, 'cause the supermarket was sold out)

- A handful of chopped basil

- A handful of chopped cilantro

- A 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric (for color)

- Olive oil

- Some flour (optional)

Here's the thing with cooking - I'm not a stickler for exact amounts because sometimes that drives me a little nuts. After cooking something the first time, I get a basic sense of what it needs, so I guarantee you, these directions won't steer you wrong.

In a large skillet, coat the pan with olive oil and add heat. After the oil is heated, cook the curry paste for about 2-3 minutes and add the yogurt, water, cilantro, turmeric, and basil, cooking for an additional 3-4 minutes. Add a bit of flour if the sauce needs extra thickening. Lower the heat when it starts to boil and let it simmer. In a separate pot, cook the chicken with the corn, onions and garlic. Add the sauce to the chicken and cook for about 3-5 minutes or until the chicken is ready. Serve with rice, garnish with chopped cilantro. Should take about 35-40 minutes, tops.



...and the finished product:



Even if you're not a fan of spicy, this dish has a warm, buttery taste that has only the slightest kick at the end.

Hmm, it's apparently supposed to snow in my neck of the woods tonight. Good thing I'm off from work tomorrow! Maybe I'll just enjoy some more of this...

Mangia!
- Jon

1 comment: