Saturday, January 15, 2011

MOVIE REVIEW: Tenebre (1982)


Lately, I've been on a bit of a Dario Argento kick. Don't ask me why, but I guess it all started when I rented Suspiria, after hearing that it was considered one of the scariest films of all time. Since seeing it, I was very pleased (and scared sh*tless!), so naturally, I've been taking interest in what has to be some of the most artistic horror films I've ever seen.

Tenebre is about an American horror-author who travels to Rome in order to promote his latest novel - a crime/slasher of the same name as the film. Upon arrival, an obsessed fan starts comitting murders similar in fashion to those outlined in his book. The author begins to become suspicious, and then nervous, as the bodies of those close to him begin to pile up...

Tenebre had a similarly brilliant effect on me as did Suspiria, in terms of atmosphere. Although it may seem unfair to compare the two, because Tenebre is more grounded in reality, Argento's use of style appears to have remained consistent in this period of his work. The drawback from these Italian horror films, aside from the dubbing is the misinterpretation of sleazyness or going "over-the-top" that may seem apparent to American audiences. In this case, we get extended sequences of gore, nudity, and unnerving musical score by the rock band Goblin. All of which are done well, and effectively in my opinion. Watching Argento can truly be like watching a nightmare unfold in front of your eyes, due to the vividness of all these qualities. Much of this is also supported by some great camerawork.

In spite of it all, I wasn't quite as captivated by the story in the end as I'd have hoped. Tenebre built itself up to what I hoped would be an explosive conclusion, but it came off more like a "Wait! That was it?"- kind of feeling. Not necessarily anti-climactic, but maybe not as shocking as I'd have hoped. At least they played the killer's demise and final showdown appropriately enough.

7/10

Peace,
- Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment